Baked Irish-Style Parsnips
- 2 1/2 pounds parsnips
- 2 ounces butter or bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel parsnips, quarter, and remove any woody core. Parboil for 15 minutes.
- Place in an ovenproof dish. Add stock and sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Dot with butter and bake for 30 minutes on a low shelf in a moderate oven. (Generally
parsnips are baked in the same oven as the main meat dish, whose cooking temperature governs that of the parsnips.)
Yield: 6 to 8 servings