Emerald Mashed Potatoes
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk or soy milk
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light-green parts, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons ghee or lightly-salted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups kale (or other dark leafy green), finely shredded
- In a large pot, combine potatoes and lightly salted water to
cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and then cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine milk, scallions and kale.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Add butter and mash with potato
masher until smooth. Gradually stir in hot milk mixture until combined.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- If desired, add 2 or 3 roasted garlic cloves along with the
salt and pepper.
Yield: 8 servings