- 2 pounds bitter oranges
- 2 lemons
- 1 ounce root ginger
- 140 fluid ounces water
- 8 ounces preserved ginger, chopped
- 7 pounds granulated sugar
- Wash and halve the bitter oranges and lemons. Squeeze out the
juice and seeds. Strain the juice into a bowl and tie the pulp, seeds and root ginger together in a piece of
muslin or doubled/tripled cheesecloth. Shred peel to the desired thickness and put peel and juice in a pan
with the water and the bag of pulp and seeds.
- Simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the peel is quite
- Remove the bag of pulp (squeeze over the pan as you do) and
add the preserved ginger. Measure liquid, add sugar and stir over low heat until dissolved. Boil rapidly to
setting point: then can as usual.
Yield: about 10 pounds marmalade