- 3 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel potatoes and cut into paper thin slices. Pat dry
- Cut onion into paper thin slices.
- Heat half of the bacon fat in a heavy frying pan and fill the
pan with alternate layers of potatoes, onions, and cheese, finishing
with potatoes. Sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper. Dot the final layer with remaining bacon fat.
- Cook over moderate heat until potatoes are almost tender.
- Turn the Haggerty carefully onto a plate and then carefully slide it back
into the pan and continue cooking until done.
- To serve, cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Yield: 6 servings