Root Vegetable Dumplings
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup diced rutabaga
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 cup chopped mustard greens
- 3 shots Blackbush Irish Whiskey (or any brand Irish whiskey)
- Lamb or beef stock
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 to 4 cups flour, (flour amount may vary on moisture content in vegetable mixture)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put vegetables and whiskey in stock pot and add enough lamb
stock or beef stock to cover vegetables. Cook until tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Put into food processor and and puree.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Add eggs, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and enough flour to
make a batter.
- Bring about 4 cups lamb or beef stock to a boil and start dropping
spoonful of dumpling mixture into liquid.
- Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until dumplings are done.
- Remove from broth and place on plates.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Sean Michael O'Rourke at 1076 - A Michigan Bistro in Oxford