Beef Stew with Stout
- 1/2 pound boneless beef sirloin, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup canned beef broth
- 1/3 cup stout or dark ale
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over high heat. Add beef and
sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer beef to bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add carrots and onions to skillet;
toss to coat with pan juices. Add flour; stir 1 minute.
- Add broth and stout. Add beef and any juices collected in bowl.
- Cover skillet; simmer until beef and carrots are tender; stirring
occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 2 servings
Source: Bon Appetit May 1996