Bisquick Lamb Stew with Irish Dumplings
Irish or not, try this delicious dinner-in-a-dish with parsley
dumplings up top.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (2 pound) lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium potato, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons Bisquick baking mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley
- 2/3 cup milk
- Melt shortening in large skillet; brown meat well. Spoon off
drippings. Add 4 cups water, the salt, pepper and bay leaf. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and cook about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, onion and potato; cook 20 minutes longer. Stir
in peas. Blend 2 tablespoons baking mix and 1/4 cup water; stir into stew.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils.
- Dumplings: Stir 2 cups baking mix, the parsley and milk to a
soft dough. Drop dough by spoonsful onto boiling stew.
- Cook UNCOVERED over low heat 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 2005/3/1 18:04.
Source: Betty Crocker's Bisquick Cookbook