Irish Country Stew
- 8 small lamb chops
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Bay leaves
- 1 pound potatoes (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek (white), thinly sliced
- 12 small white onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery stalks
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Season chops with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in saucepan wide enough to hold all chops in a single
layer. Brown on both sides. Spoon off any melted fat and add enough water to cover chops. Bring to a
boil and add parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and rosemary enclosed in cheesecloth. Lower heat
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and shape into bite size rounds. Chop
trimmings from potatoes into small pieces. Add potatoes, trimmings, cabbage, onion, well-rinsed leek,
white onions and celery to chops and liquid.
- Simmer 20 minutes, then add peas. Add a little more water if
needed during cooking.
- Simmer for 10 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Yield: 4 servings