Irish Oyster Soup
- 2 large potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 4 cups milk
- 1 bouquet garni (a bay leaf and green herbs tied together)
- Salt and pepper
- 36 fresh shucked oysters, juice reserved
- Parsley for garnish
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk to a boil, remove from heat, dunk
in the bouquet garni, and let infuse.
- Sauté the diced salt pork in a little butter over low heat until it is just
- When the potatoes are done, peel and mash, then whip in the hot
herbed milk. When the salt pork is tender, add the pieces, drained of their grease. Season to taste. Bring to a
boil, stirring constantly, then add the oysters with their liquid. Simmer for a few minutes. Taste for seasoning
and stir in remaining butter.
- Serve at once, garnished with chopped parsley.