Irish Stew (Ballymaloe)
- 3 pounds lamb neck chops or other cut of lamb with bones
- 4 carrots
- 4 medium size onions
- 1 tablespoon butter fat of some type-lamb, beef or oil
- 4 large potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups stock or water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Add fat to the pan. If adding oil, just heat. If fat such as
bacon fat, heat until it melts.
- Peel the onions, potatoes and carrots. Cut the carrots and onions
- Cut the meat into 8 pieces; cutting of any excess fat. Bones
need not be removed.
- Brown the meat in fat until just browned and repeat with onions
- Add stock (use whatever stock is on hand or water) and season.
If using canned stock, watch the salt as you won't need much. Place the whole potatoes on top.
- Cover and simmer gently until the meat is cooked, about
- Pour off the cooking liquid and de-fat.
- Reheat just the broth in another saucepan. Taste for seasoning.
Add in butter, chives and parsley. Pour over stew and serve.