Orange Crab Salad
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 Florida orange, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (can substitute any color pepper)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced jalapeno or serrano pepper, optional
- 1 pound lump crabmeat (fresh or frozen)
- Lettuce leaves (leaf lettuce or spring mix)
- Ground black pepper
- Fresh Florida orange segments, if desired
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients to make dressing; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine avocado, orange, red onion, red bell pepper, cilantro
and jalapeno. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze all liquid out of crabmeat. Check carefully for any shells. Add crabmeat
to salad mixture.
- Arrange lettuce on salad plates. Top with crabmeat mixture and reserved dressing.
- Season to taste with freshly ground pepper; garnish with orange segments if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Florida Department of Citrus