- 2 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1 (6 ounce) box cherry flavored gelatin
- 1 (16 ounce) can pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can applesauce
- Mayonnaise or salad dressing
- In a saucepan bring apple cider or juice to boiling. Dissolve gelatin in boiling
- Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Halve cherries and set aside.
- Add enough water to reserved syrup to measure 1 1/2 cups liquid. Stir in gelatin.
Set aside two cups of gelatin mixture. Keep at room temperature.
- Chill remaining gelatin until partially set.
- Fold cherries, celery and walnuts into partially set gelatin. Pour into 6 1/2-cup
ring mold. Chill until almost firm.
- Gradually add reserved gelatin to softened cream cheese, beating until smooth.
Stir in applesauce. Spoon cream cheese mixture over cherry layer in mold.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold on lettuce-lined plate.
- Serve with mayonnaise or salad dressing.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.