Double Decker Vegetable Mold
- 2 3/4 cups boiling water and juice from pineapple
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small box orange gelatin
- 1 small box lime or lemon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon grated onion, divided
- 3 tablespoons white or white wine vinegar, divided
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed
pineapple, drained, divided
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery, divided
- 1 1/2
cups grated or shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- Stir cornstarch mixture and salt into boiling water/juice. Cook until thick and
simmer about 5 minutes.
- Divide into 2 saucepans.
- Dissolve orange gelatin in 1 portion
and lime gelatin in the remaining part. Cool.
- Stir 1/2 tablespoon onion, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 can pineapple and 1/3
cup celery into each mixture. Chill until partially set.
- Fold carrots into orange
gelatin and pour into a 5- or 6-cup buttered ring mold. Chill until set, but not
- Fold cabbage into lime gelatin and pour over carrot mixture. Chill until firm
and unmold on salad greens.
- Fill center with salad.
This mold does not soften easily.
Variation: Substitute finely chopped red cabbage
with lemon gelatin.