Farmers Market Chicken Salad
- No-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups toasted wheat
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound boneless skinless
chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 6 cups mixed salad greens, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups red or yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups small thin green
beans, blanched snow or sugar snap peas, sliced bell peppers
or cucumbers or any combination
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Honey-Dijon Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- For chicken, combine wheat germ, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow
dish; mix well.
- In another shallow dish, beat egg whites and water until frothy. Dip chicken
strips into egg mixture then in wheat germ mixture.
- Dip and coat chicken again, coating thoroughly; place on baking sheet. Lightly
spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- To assemble salad, arrange greens, tomatoes and green beans on serving platter;
top with warm chicken.
- Drizzle Honey-Dijon Dressing over salad.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 450 Sodium:
980mg Calories from Fat: 100 Carbohydrates: 52g Fat: 11g Fiber: 9g Saturated Fat:
2g Protein: 42g Cholesterol: 65mg
Reprinted with permission from
the National Honey Board.