Hot Fiddlehead Salad
Fiddleheads or fiddlenecks refer to young fern fronds, still curled in the fetal
position, cut from any number of edible ferns, such as the ostrich, hay-scented,
cinnamon or evergreen.
- 4 cups fiddlehead ferns, rinsed
- 4 thick strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Blanch ferns in boiling salted water to cover for about 4 minutes. Drain
- Fry bacon strips in a wok or large skillet. Remove them when crisp and drain
on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and add olive oil. Add ferns
and stir over high heat until they are coated with oil.
- Pour into a serving dish, sprinkle with lemon juice and seasonings, and
crumble bacon over the top.
Serves 4 to 6.