Layered Chicken Salad with Blue
Cheese and Toasted Georgia Pecans
Slices of red and yellow tomato between layers of nut-and-cheese filled chicken
salad make for a delicious and decorative presentation.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup toasted Georgia pecan halves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup prepared blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 8 large slices fresh tomato, preferably yellow and red
- Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Georgia pecan halves for garnish (optional)
- Cut chicken into 2-inch chunks.
- Heat water to boiling. Add salt. Stir chicken into boiling water, immediately
reduce to just below a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let chicken stand in cooking water 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse chicken under cold water to stop the cooking process. Pat
- By hand, shred chicken into bite-size pieces and place in mixing bowl.
- Add the pecans, celery, onion, carrot, blue cheese dressing, and vinegar.
Mix until well combined.
- To serve, mound a scant 1/2 cup chicken salad in center of each serving
plate and spread slightly to flatten to a round the same width as tomato. Top
with a slice of red tomato. Mound another scant 1/2 cup salad mixture on top
and arrange a yellow tomato slice on top. Garnish, if desired, with parsley
sprig and pecan; serve.
Serves 4 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cooking: 20 minutes
To make a neat column of stacked salad ingredients like chefs do, layer the chicken
salad and tomato slices inside a lightly-oiled 3-inch metal ring, made from an empty,
clean tuna fish can. After layering the mixture, slowly pull off the can and – voila
– the layers will be trim and intact.
Nutrition information per serving – calories: 411; protein: 33g; carbs: 8g;
saturated fat: 5g; monounsaturated: 13g; polyunsaturated fat: 6g; cholesterol: 91
mg; fiber: 2g; sodium: 748 mg
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Georgia Pecan Commission
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.