Cold Wild Rice Salad
Grapes and mandarin oranges give this make-ahead medley a hint of sweetness.
It's the perfect partner for beef, pork, chicken, or fish.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions, except do not add oil
or butter. Cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together rice mixture, water chestnuts, celery, green
onions, and grapes.
- In a screw-top jar, combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper. Cover; shake
- Pour lemon juice mixture over rice mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, gently stir in mandarin oranges and pecans.
Makes 8 to 10 side-dish servings.
Per serving: 219 cal., 12 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 302 mg
sodium, 28 g carbo., 3 g fiber, and 3 g pro. Dietary exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2
fruit, 2 fat
Posted by Darlene at Recipe Goldmine 2/17/2002 4:11 pm.