Layered Tortellini Pesto Chicken Salad
Loads of flavor in seven lovely layers!
Look for matchstick-cut carrots already cut and packaged in the produce section of the supermarket.
Omit the chicken for a meatless salad.
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 cup Green Giant™ frozen sweet peas (from 1-pound bag)
- 5 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups julienne (matchstick-cut) carrots
- 2 cups chopped or strips grilled chicken
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves
- Cook tortellini as directed on package, adding peas during last 4 minutes of cook time.
- Drain; rinse immediately with cold water. Pat with paper towels to remove moisture.
- In 3- or 4-quart clear bowl, layer the lettuce, the carrots, chicken, peas, the tortellini and bell pepper.
- In small bowl, mix mayonnaise, pesto and buttermilk. Spread over peppers; sprinkle with parsley.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours until chilled or overnight.
- Stir just before serving.
Prep: 40 min | Servings: 8
Nutrition information Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories330 (Calories from Fat160),
% Daily Value Total Fat 18g 18% (Saturated Fat 4g, 4% Trans Fat 0g 0% ), Cholesterol 50mg 50%; Sodium 440mg 440%; Total Carbohydrate 24g 24% (Dietary Fiber 3g 3% Sugars 5g 5%), Protein 17g 17%
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 140%; Vitamin C 60%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%
Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: