Taco Salad with Tortilla Whiskers
- 3 corn tortillas (about 6 inches wide)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 pound boneless tender beef
steak such as top loin, fat trimmed, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon distilled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
quarts finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium or regular
black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounce) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups guacamole
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced
- 2 cups fresh tomato salsa
- Stack tortillas and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch wide strips. In a 12 x 17-inch
baking pan, mix strips with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and chili
- Bake tortilla strips in a 425 degrees F regular or convection oven,
stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour tortilla strips out of pan and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut steak across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices. Stack
a few slices at a time and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, cumin and cinnamon.
- Place a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When hot, add
remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and quickly swirl to coat bottom. Add beef at once
and stir just until browned on the surface and still pink in the center (cut
to test), about 1 minute.
- Add vinegar mixture and stir just until liquid is evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Mound lettuce in the center of a large, shallow bowl. Surround with tortilla
whiskers. Layer beans, cheese, then steak evenly over lettuce. Top with guacamole
and sour cream and sprinkle with green onions.
- Gently spoon salad onto places; serve with salsa.
- Guacamole: Pit and peel 2 ripe avocados (1 pound total). In a bowl, using
a fork, coarsely mash avocados with 1 tablespoon each lime juice and chopped
fresh cilantro and 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Add salt and cayenne to taste.
- Serve, or chill airtight up to 2 hours.
Yields 4 to 6 servings; 1 1/4 cups Guacamole
Source: Sunset magazine - June 2001