Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen black-eyed peas or 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 1 cup bottled Italian dressing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- If using canned peas, cook peas as directed on package; drain.
- If using dried peas, soak black-eyed peas overnight (or at least 6 hours)
with enough water to cover peas by two inches.
- Next morning drain and rinse beans. Put rinsed beans in a large kettle with
6 cups hot water. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for
45 minutes or until peas are just tender.
- Drain peas and place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Shake Italian dressing, sugar and crushed red pepper in tightly covered
container until blended.
- Combine cooked peas, corn, tomatoes bell pepper and green onions. Gently
toss pea mixture and salad dressing; season with salt and pepper. Chill.
- Before serving, garnish with parsley or cilantro.
Yield: about 8 servings
(c) Can Stock
Photo / fanfo
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.