Caesar Potato Salad
If making ahead, add enough chicken broth to moisten to desired texture before
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 8 red thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons
fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced,
plus about 5 whole fillets for garnish (about 1 ounce total)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add potatoes, cover,
and cook over medium heat until potatoes are just tender when pierced, 30 to
- Remove all but one potato from cooking water; immerse in cold water. When
cool, cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-wide slices. Continue to cook remaining potato
over medium heat until very soft when pierced, and skin has begun to peel away,
5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove potato and cut in half; slice 1 half and add to the other sliced
potatoes. Immerse remaining half in cold water until cool to touch, about 3
minutes; peel, cut in half again, and place in a blender with 1/2 cup of the
cooking water. Whirl until smooth. Place in a small bowl; immerse bowl just
to the rim in cold water until potato puree is cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine minced garlic, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard,
lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and minced anchovies. Mix in 2/3 cup of the cooled
potato puree; pour over sliced potatoes. (Discard remaining puree or reserve
for another use.) Add grated parmesan cheese; gently mix to coat potatoes. Garnish
with minced parsley and whole anchovy fillets. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, or if making ahead, chill up to 1 day.
Makes: 6 servings
Per serving: 184 cal., 8.7% (16 cal.) from fat; 6.5 g protein; 1.8 g fat
(0.7 g sat.); 35 g carbo.; 300 mg sodium; 5.2 mg chol.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 7/10/01 8:31:26 pm.