Fried Okra Salad
- 6 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- Yellow cornmeal for coating
- Salt and
cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 pound okra, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Vegetable oil, if needed
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded
and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted
spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Reserve the bacon drippings in the frying
- Toss the sliced okra in the cornmeal to coat evenly. Reheat the bacon drippings,
adding vegetable oil as needed to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. Add the okra
and sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper to your taste. Fry, turning as needed
for even browning until tender-crisp, about 6-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon,
transfer the okra to a plate covered with paper towels to drain.
- Transfer the okra to a bowl and add the tomato, onion and bell pepper. Toss to
mix. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss again. Sprinkle with the bacon and serve.
Makes 6 servings.