Hot Potato Salad with Bacon Specks (Mennonite)
- 4 slices lean bacon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup hot water
cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon Boiled Dressing
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups diced, hot, boiled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- Additional heavy cream (optional)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salad: Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove and crumble. Drain off
all fat except 1 tablespoon, return to medium heat, add onions and celery.
in flour to coat the vegetables. Add water, stir and cook till thickened. Remove
from the heat and blend in the cream, boiled dressing, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Pour over the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the parsley and chives. Mix well to
blend flavors. Add more cream if desired, taste, add salt if desired.
- Sprinkle crumbled
bacon on top and garnish with the sliced hard-boiled eggs.
- Boiled Dressing: Combine sugar, salt, and mustard in the top of a double boiler.
Add vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add well-beaten eggs. Place over moderately boiling
water. Stir until the mixture is creamy about the consistency of custard.
- Beat in
the butter. Cool.
This dressing may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator, and will keep up to
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 2004/2/29 16:12.