Paparazzi Chopped Salad
Nothing is particularly fancy or unusual about this salad, but when made with
the best ingredients you can find, you simply can't get enough of it.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly
ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomato (1/4-inch
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup
kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Thinly sliced
red onion (garnish)
- To make dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting
lid. Shake well and set aside. Dressing will separate; shake it again just before
- To make salad: Thinly slice the romaine and then chop into small pieces.
Toss romaine with the tomato, cucumber, olives and cheeses.
- Add 1/2 cup of the dressing and toss to mix well.
- Garnish with red onion slices.
Makes 4 servings.
Variations: For a more substantial salad add 1 cup finely diced cooked chicken
breast or salami. Substitute feta cheese for the gorgonzola. Add other cooked vegetables
such as green beans or summer squash.