Sweet Onion Veggie Salad
- 1 large or 2 small red onions, cut into wedges (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup julienne pared jicama
- 1 cup fresh or frozen edamame, shelled
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- Margarita Dressing (recipe follows)
- 2 quarts assorted salad greens
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives
- Margarita Dressing: Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons
honey mustard and 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Sauté onions gently in oil over medium heat for 6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Combine onions, corn, jicama, edamame and bell pepper in bowl.
- Pour Margarita Dressing
over and toss lightly. Chill until ready to serve.
- Portion over greens in salad
bowl or on individual plates. Top with whole chives.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutrition Information: Per serving with dressing: About 264 cal, 9 g protein,
23 g carb, 12 g fat, 156 cal from fat, 0 mg chol, 32 mg sod, 6 g fiber, Vit A 1971
RE, Vit C 65 mg, Calcium 146 mg
Recipe and photo credit: National Onion Association.