Ginger Onion Vinaigrette
The combination of sweet onions and ginger makes a smooth bittersweet dressing
for fresh greens.
- 12 whole fresh green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled
and finely grated
- 2 medium size shallots, skinned and finely chopped
- 1 small
red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups heavy duty mayonnaise
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic in oil
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- Dash of cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely
chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup very fine
strips of white leeks
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. When the oil is hot, sauté the leeks, red
and green onion, garlic and shallots until they are about 50 percent done.
from the heat, then add the red wine vinegar. Return to the heat. This will help
de-glaze the pan.
- Add chicken stock, fresh and crystallized ginger and bring the
mixture to a boil. Cook until the liquid has been reduced by half.
- Remove heat and
let cool at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked mixture and all other ingredients. Taste. If
it is too vinegary, add just a touch of sugar.
- Additional salt and pepper may also
be added to your taste.