Oklahoma Griddle Onion Burgers
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large sweet onion, cut
in half and sliced super thin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, beef fat or bacon
- 4 soft burger buns
- 4 slices American cheese (optional)
- Yellow mustard
to taste (optional)
- Combine salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne to
create a signature burger seasoning.
- Portion ground beef evenly into 4 loosely
- Heat griddle or cast iron pan to medium high.
- Working with one or two burgers at a time works best. Add oil or fat to
cooking surface and spread evenly.
- When oil begins to smoke, add 1/4 the onions;
sear for 1 minute and top with one ball of beef.
- Smash burger ball into onion
with back of metal spatula with no holes to make a round patty less than 1/2-inch
thick on top of onions.
- Season burger with a sprinkling of burger seasoning.
- Allow onion and burger to develop a deep brown sear, 2-3 minutes. Flip.
- Top with more seasoning to taste, a smear of mustard (optional) and top half
of bun; sear until burger is cooked through, 1-2 minutes (160 degrees F internal
- Toast bottom bun half on flattop.
- Flip bottom bun onto a plate and stack
with cheese and burger.
Recipe and photo credit:
Angus Certified Beef.