Portobello Burgers with Red Pepper Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned, roasted red peppers, drained well and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean with a damp cloth or paper towel
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 8 (1-inch-thick) slices sourdough or French bread
- Butter, olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices ripe, fresh tomato
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- Heat grill or broiler to high.
- While grill is heating, prepare red pepper mayonnaise by pureeing mayonnaise,
red peppers and garlic in a food processor or blender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate, covered, until ready
- Place cleaned mushrooms on a plate and brush both sides with salad dressing.
- Grill mushrooms for about 4 to 5 minutes a side.
- Brush both sides of bread slices with butter or olive oil, or spray lightly
with olive oil cooking spray, and grill until golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Place a grilled mushroom on top of a slice of grilled bread, top with some
red pepper mayonnaise, a slice of provolone cheese, a tomato and a piece of
- Top with another piece of bread and repeat procedure to make remaining sandwiches.
Makes 4 servings.
Burgers can be broiled in oven, about 4 inches from broiler, for 4 to 5
minutes per side. Toast bread in oven or toaster oven until golden brown on both