Portobello Burgers with
Red Pepper Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned, roasted red peppers, drained well and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean with a damp cloth or paper towel
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 8 (1-inch-thick) slices sourdough or French bread
- Butter, olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices ripe, fresh tomato
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- Heat grill or broiler to high.
- While grill is heating, prepare red pepper mayonnaise by pureeing mayonnaise,
red peppers and garlic in a food processor or blender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate, covered, until ready
- Place cleaned mushrooms on a plate and brush both sides with salad dressing.
- Grill mushrooms for about 4 to 5 minutes a side.
- Brush both sides of bread slices with butter or olive oil, or spray lightly
with olive oil cooking spray, and grill until golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Place a grilled mushroom on top of a slice of grilled bread, top with some
red pepper mayonnaise, a slice of provolone cheese, a tomato and a piece of
- Top with another piece of bread and repeat procedure to make remaining sandwiches.
Makes 4 servings.
Burgers can be broiled in oven, about 4 inches from broiler, for 4 to 5
minutes per side. Toast bread in oven or toaster oven until golden brown on both
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.