Baja Pizza Pouches (Calzones) with Cheese
- 1 pound bulk hot pork sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (12 ounces) refried beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) crushed Italian flavored tomatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese
- Butter, melted
- 1 cup guacamole, if desired
- In a fry pan or skillet, brown pork sausage and ground beef. Drain any fat.
- Add beans, cumin and garlic powder. Heat through.
- Meanwhile, prepare hot roll mix according to package directions for pizza
crust. Divide dough into eight pieces. Form each piece into a ball. On a lightly
floured surface, roll each ball into a 7 to 8 inch circle.
- Place dough circles on 2 oiled baking sheets.
- Place 1/2 cup meat mixture on half the dough circle, to within 1/2 inch
- Spoon 2 tablespoons crushed tomato over meat mixture.
- Top each calzone with 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack and 2 tablespoons shredded
- Moisten edges of dough with water and fold circles in half. Press edges
firmly together with a fork. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a side of guacamole.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin