Sausage and fresh mozzarella taste just like Italy in this classic fried calzone.
- 12 Rhodes White Dinner Rolls, thawed to room temperature
- 12 large slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, browned
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine 2 rolls together and roll out into a 9-inch circle on a sprayed surface.
- Place two pieces of mozzarella on half of the circle leaving a clean edge. Cover cheese with sausage. Top with salt and pepper.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filled half and use a fork to press edges together to seal. Fold the sealed edges 1/4-inch at a time to be sure the edges stay sealed.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F. Fry each panzerotti in hot oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce.
Yield: 6 servings | Prep: 15 min | Bake: 15 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from: