- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 6 pita breads
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Sauté sausage in large skillet until browned.
- Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat and add onion, garlic, mushrooms, green
pepper and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender and sausage is done.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Cut pita breads in halves crosswise. Open pockets and stuff with sausage
- Sprinkle filling with cheese.
- Fit sandwiches snugly upright in baking pan and bake at 400 degrees F for
10 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve at once.
Instead of sausage, use diced cooked chicken, turkey, shellfish, or any
leftover cooked meat and sauté in 2 tablespoons of oil instead of sausage fat.