- 4 large hot Italian Sausages
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Pizza dough
sauce for dipping
- When dough is ready, preheat oven to 500 degrees F and oil a large baking
- Fry sausages until done and slice into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Place in a large bowl and add cheese, mushrooms, garlic and cayenne. Toss
- Cut dough into 8 rounds and roll out each into 6-inch circles.
- Share the wealth of filling with each round, moisten edges with water, fold
over, press lightly and seal/crimp.
- Place on sheet and lightly oil tops of calzone-sometimes I dust with parmesan
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Serve hot with warmed marinara sauce.
Optional: Olives and thinly sliced onions or use bacon and ham in place of sausages.
Posted by Diana Neal at Recipe Goldmine May 16, 2001.