Avocado Monte Cristo
A signature sandwich served west-coast style. Fresh avocados layered with turkey, jalapeno Jack cheese, cilantro and salsa.
- 3/4 cup garlic mayonnaise (aioli)
- 24 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 6 California avocados (3 pounds)
- 48 (1 ounce) slices sliced roasted chicken or turkey (3 pounds)
- 24 (1 ounce) slices sliced Jalapeno Jack cheese
- 16 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Unsalted butter, as needed
- 3 cups fresh fruit salsa of choice
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon garlic mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Cover 12 slices of bread with avocado slices.
- Top each with 2 slices of chicken or turkey and 1 slice cheese.
- Cover each with remaining slice of bread, spread-side down, diagonally cut each in half. Reserve.
- Beat together egg, milk, and salt; reserve.
- Dip 2 halves of a sandwich into egg mixture, coating well.
- Brown in hot butter, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve with 1/4 cup fresh fruit salsa.
- Garnish with a cilantro sprig.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
California Avocado Board