Baked Croque Monsieur
Croque Monsieur, a Continental cross between French toast and grilled ham-and-cheese, feeds a crowd when you bake it, casserole-style, in the oven.
- 16 (1/2-inch) slices pain de mie or other fine-grained white bread
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard (optional)
- 3/4 pound sliced or grated cheese (Gruyere, Swiss, or cheddar)
- 3/4 pound sliced ham
- 1 medium-small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence (or the mixed dried herbs of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Panko (Japanese-style coarse breadcrumbs), or coarse homemade dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated cheese: Parmesan, Gruyere or cheddar
Recipe and photo credit: King Arthur Flour - kingarthurflour.com.