Bananas Foster Grilled Cheese
Two cheeses plus a luscious banana filling between slices of brioche, gently
soaked in French toast batter, then fried in butter.
- 1 ounce (about 1/8 cup) Wisconsin mascarpone cheese
- 1 ounce Wisconsin cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur or brandy
- 1/2 small banana, thickly sliced
- 2 slices brioche bread
- Sea salt flakes
- In bowl, beat mascarpone and cream cheese. Set aside.
- Prepare French toast batter: In bowl, beat egg, milk and vanilla extract and set aside
in a shallow bowl wide enough to hold sandwich for dipping.
- In skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add brown sugar to pan and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add liqueur and bring to simmer.
- Once mixture begins
to thicken, add banana, stirring constantly to evenly coat bananas. Cook for 2-3 minutes,
until bananas are well coated in sauce.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- To prepare sandwich, spread mascarpone mixture evenly onto one side of each bread
- Top 1 mascarpone-covered slice with banana mixture, sprinkle of sea salt
and remaining bread slice, mascarpone-covered slice down.
- Gently soak each side of sandwich in French toast batter up to 1 minute.
- In skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Place sandwich in skillet and grill 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and allow to rest 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 1 sandwich
By Grilled Cheese Social
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin