Brats in a Blanket
Chef Heath Barbato delivers a Bratsgiving recipe that does the Cheddar Curtain proud. These Brats in a Blanket are wrapped in all the Wisconsin favorites: squeaky cheese curds, beer mustard and the flagship Johnsonville® Original Brat!
- 4 JOHNSONVILLE® Brats
- 4 pretzel brat buns
- 1 pound fresh Wisconsin cheese curds
- 1/2 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 (ounces) sauerkraut, strained and fried
- 3 ounces whole grain mustard
- 2 ounces Dijon mustard
- 1 ounce honey
- 4 ounces lager-style beer
- 1 Spanish onion, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 (12 ounce) bottles lager-style beer
- 1/2 cup butter
- In a small saucepan bring the honey and the 4 ounces beer to a simmer and reduce by half; whisk in the mustards and set aside.
- Add your butter, julienned onion, garlic cloves.
- On the other side of the grill place your brats on and grill on each side 1-2 minutes.
- After they have the grill marks place them in your pan and pour the beer over top and let simmer while you start your “blanket."
- Place a flat cast iron pan on the other side of the grill on high heat.
- Place 4 separate circles of cheese curds (about 4 ounces per circle) and then sprinkle some of the shredded cheddar over each circle. Let them cook until the cheese curds are completely melted.
- Place the sausages in the bun and, with a spatula, scrape the cheese curd blankets on top with the caramelized side facing up.
- Spoon the beer mustard over the top. Sprinkle the crispy kraut and serve.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: