Chile Relleno Grilled Cheese
Pico de Gallo
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 poblano chile
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 slices white or sourdough bread
- 3/4 ounces (3 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Pico de Gallo: Combine tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice in small bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Sandwich: Set oven rack two levels below broiler element and heat oven to broil.
- Line baking dish with foil and place poblano on foil.
- Broil, rotating frequently, until skin has blistered and charred, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Transfer poblano to plastic bag, seal and let rest 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Peel skin from pepper, cut off top, and make 1 slice length of pepper.
- Remove and discard seeds and ribs.
- Pat inside of pepper dry with paper towel, set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- In small bowl, whisk egg vigorously until frothy, 1 minute.
- Once oil is hot, carefully pour egg into pan. Cook egg until golden, about 10 seconds, then using spatula, fold egg in half (as if you were making an omelet).
- Continue to cook just until nearly cooked through, about 10 seconds longer per side; then transfer to
paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Sandwich: To assemble sandwich, brush 1/2 tablespoon butter on1 side of bread slices.
- Place egg on bread slice, followed by roasted poblano, monterey jack and half of pico
- Top with remaining bread slice.
- Using paper towel, wipe oil from skillet.
- Reheat skillet over medium-low heat.
- Carefully transfer assembled sandwich, butter-side-down, to skillet. Cook until bottom is golden about 4 - 6 minutes, then rotate sandwich to opposite side; cover skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese has melted, about 4 - 6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 1 sandwich
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.