Classic Beef Reuben Sandwich
Try this deli classic for lunch or dinner today. Thinly sliced deli Corned Beef or Pastrami is sandwiched between rye bread with sauerkraut and a tangy home-made dressing.
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup drained sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli corned beef or pastrami
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
- 8 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cups drained sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing
- Thousand Island Dressing: Combine ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Sandwiches: Lightly spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 2 bread slices, butter side down, in skillet. Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon dressing, 3 ounces corned beef, quarter of sauerkraut and 2 cheese slices. Top with 2 bread slices buttered side up.
- Cook sandwiches 4 to 6 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, turning once.
- Repeat with remaining bread, dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese.
- Serve with additional Thousand Island Dressing, as desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 362 Calories; 153 Calories from fat; 17g Total Fat (7 g Saturated Fat; 3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 70 mg Cholesterol; 1570 mg Sodium; 4.5 g Total Carbohydrate; 25 g Dietary Fiber; 4.6 g Protein; 44.8 mg Iron; 0.3 mg NE Niacin; 1.4 mg Vitamin B6; 4.5 mcg Vitamin B12; 76 mg Zinc; 4.6 mcg Selenium; 0 mg Choline
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Zinc.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Texas Beef Council