Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Roasted
Red Onion and Garlic Mayonnaise
- 3 slices red onion (1/2-inch slices), roasted
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil, for marinade
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, grilled and sliced
- 5 portobello mushrooms, grilled and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, for sauteing
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 6 cups fresh spinach, cleaned
- 1/4 pound gruyere cheese, thinly-sliced
- Garlic Mayonnaise: Cut top off garlic to expose cloves. Slice onion. Drizzle
with olive oil. Roast at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes. Add to basic mayonnaise and
blend until smooth.
- Sandwich: Marinate the chicken and mushrooms in olive oil for 10 minutes. Grill
over high heat, and then slice.
- In hot sauté pan, cook garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add all the cleaned spinach.
Compact the spinach, toss and stir. Cook just until wilted.
- Slice Focaccia to form a top and a bottom. Lightly brush each cut side with olive
oil. Place both pieces under your broiler so that the cut side is toasted.
- Layer ingredients like spokes on a wheel. This spreads them out evenly so there's
filling in every bite. Start with chicken, then spinach, then mushrooms, and finally
- After adding the cheese, run the sandwich under broiler to melt cheese. Add plenty
of the mayonnaise and replace top.
- Serve by cutting into 6 pie-shape wedges.
Serving size: 6
Source: Cuisine Magazine - July/August 1997