Grilled Garlic Steak Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 30 cloves garlic, minced (about 2/3 cup)
- 5 large red bell peppers
- 5 large green bell peppers
- 3 large (about 1 1/2 pounds total) onions
- 3 flank steaks, each 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds
- Blend butter and 1/3 of the minced garlic. Clean and cut peppers in strips. Coarsely
- Divide peppers, onions, and remaining garlic evenly between two 5 to 6-quart
pans. To each pan add 3 tablespoons garlic butter mixture. Place pans over medium-high
heat. Stir often until vegetables are browned and onions taste sweet, about 30 minutes;
- Place flank steaks on grill, turning frequently until desired doneness, allowing
10 to 14 minutes for rare.
- Transfer steaks to cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Toast rolls on grill.
- Cut the steaks thinly across the grain. Fill rolls equally with sliced steak
and pepper-garlic mixture.
- Serve with a variety of salads and grilled corn on the cob. Corn on the cob can
be served hot or tepid, with a variety of toppings such as honey butter, pesto,
lime wedges and salt and spreadable herbed cheese (such as Rondele or Boursin).
Source: AM Northwest