Grilled Vegetable Heros
- 2 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 8 large basil leaves
- 2 Italian sandwich rolls with, split lengthwise (horizontally)
- 1 large firm tomato, cut into 4 slices
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons bottled Italian salad dressing
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
- Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Arrange zucchini, bell pepper and tomato on
rimmed baking sheet. Whisk dressing and chopped basil in medium bowl to blend. Brush
cut side of each roll with 1/2 tablespoon dressing mixture. Brush vegetables with
remaining dressing mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill cut side of rolls until toasted, about 1 minute. Place rolls, cut-side
up, on plates. Grill vegetables until tender and lightly charred, turning and brushing
occasionally with any dressing mixture left on baking sheet, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange warm vegetables on roll bottoms. Cover each with 2 slices cheese, 4 whole
basil leaves and top of roll.
Yields: 2 servings