Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Goat Cheese
Offer this sandwich of grilled vegetables, goat cheese and arugula as a meatless option at your next cookout or picnic.
Prepare as directed, substituting small yellow squash or zucchini for the eggplant.
Test Kitchen Tip: Skewer the onion slices with wooden toothpicks to secure them while turning on the grill. Remove toothpicks after cooking.
- 4 ounces goat cheese (chèvre), softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Basil Leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Rosemary Leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 2 baby eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 small red onion, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 loaf ciabatta or other rustic Italian bread, split in half horizontally
- 1 cup arugula leaves, rinsed and drained
- Mix goat cheese, milk, basil, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme and sea salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Brush vegetables lightly with oil.
- Grill over medium-high heat 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning once. Grill bread 30 seconds per side or until lightly toasted.
- Spread goat cheese mixture evenly on each bread half. Layer 1/2 of the arugula, grilled vegetables and remaining arugula on 1 bread half. Top with second bread half. Cut sandwiches into 1 1/2-inch wide sections to serve.
Yield: 6 servings | Prep: 15 min | Cook: 10 min
per serving Calories: 346 Fat: 18 g Carbohydrates: 35 g Cholesterol: 15 mg Sodium: 542 mg Fiber: 6 g Protein: 11 g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: