Horseshoe Sandwich with Idaho® Fingerling Fries
The Horseshoe is a regional specialty in the Springfield, Illinois area. It is an open-faced sandwich on toasted bread that can utilize a variety of meats, topped with French fries and a creamy cheese sauce.
Grilled vegetables, such as green peppers and onions, are also common on a Horseshoe sandwich. Alternate meat suggestions include smoked ham, pulled pork and grilled chicken breast.
- 4 toasted slices Texas toast
- 6 Idaho® Russian Banana Fingerling potatoes, sliced into fries
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Freshly ground Italian seasoning blend
- 4 grilled hamburger patties, sprinkled with steak seasoning and seasoning salt before cooking
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Lay out potato slices onto cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and use brush to evenly coat them.
- Grind Italian seasoning over potatoes until there is a nice, even dusting of
- Place in oven heated to 425 degrees F. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until fries
are cooked throughout and lightly brown.
- Place onion, mushroom and pepper in foil. Place butter on top and sprinkle with
freshly ground Italian seasoning. Tent foil and close. Place in oven. (They should
be softened by the time the fries finish cooking.)
- While the fries and vegetables bake, start on cheese sauce by melting butter
in a small saucepan. Once melted, add flour and stir to make a roux.
- Add milk and basil and stir constantly until it starts to bubble. Continue stirring
for two to three more minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Add shredded cheese gradually, stirring constantly as it melts.
- Lay out toasted bread on plates, topped with hamburger patty. Spoon vegetables
on top of burger, followed by a layer of fries. Top with cheese sauce.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Source: Carrie Steinweg, Food Blogger, Chicago Foodie Sisters
Recipe credit (used with permission): Idaho Potato Commission
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.