Open-Face Steak Sandwich with Mushroom Sauce
- 1 pound beef round tip (sandwich) steak or sirloin tip steak sliced thin 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed or sliced white domestic mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup prepared beef gravy
- 1/2 loaf French bread, split and toasted
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper and 1/2 of the thyme. Sauté meat (using half
of the oil) until browned and medium rare, about 30 to 45 seconds per side. Cook
in batches and do not overcrowd pan so meat fries rather than steams.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Add garlic
and cook for one minute. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring until tender, about 3
to 5 minutes.
- Pour in wine and bring to a boil for one minute.
- Season with salt and pepper and remaining thyme.
- Add prepared gravy and stir until mixture is heated.
- Arrange meat on bread and top with mushroom sauce.