Open-Faced Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium green tomatoes, each cut into 3 thick slices
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (6-inch) baguette, split lengthwise
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat the oven to broil.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, cook the bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Reserve the skillet, along with any
rendered bacon fat in it, for use later.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, black pepper, cayenne,
paprika and salt. One at a time, dredge each tomato slice through the flour mixture
to lightly coat both sides.
- Return the skillet to the stove over medium-high. When the bacon fat is hot,
add the tomato slices and fry until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 to 3
minutes per side. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise over the cut side
of each half of the baguette. Place the baguette halves on a baking sheet, then
top with spinach, fried tomato slices and cheese. Crumble 2 strips of bacon over
each sandwich. Broil on the bottom rack of the oven just until the cheese is melted,
about 1 minute.
Makes 2 sevings.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole
number): 462 cal ories; 154 calories from fat; 17 g fat (8 g saturated; 0 g trans
fats); 43 mg cholester ol; 60 g carbohydrate; 21 g protein; 7 g fiber; 1,353 mg
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sandwich Recipes