Original Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich
- 1 (24 ounce) thinly-sliced rib eye or eye roll steak
- 6 tablespoons soy bean oil
- Cheese (Cheez Whiz is recommended), American or provolone
- 4 crusty Italian rolls
- 1 large Spanish onion
- Sweet green and red peppers, sauté ed in oil (optional)
- Mushrooms, sautéed in oil (optional)
- Heat a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons
of the oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness. Remove the onions.
- Add remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides.
- Melt the Cheez Whiz in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Place 6 ounces of
the meat onto each roll. Add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz over the top. Garnish
with hot fried sweet peppers, mushrooms and ketchup.