Philly Cabot Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Cabot Cheese Spread
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 16 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 4 cups) or cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 hoagie rolls or Italian loaves or 8 slices sourdough bread
- 6 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds ribeye or sirloin steak, very thinly sliced
- Cabot Cheese Spread: Heat evaporated milk, in
saucepan or double boiler, until very hot but not boiling.
- Add cheese,mustard and salt and stir until cheese is melted and
spread is smooth. Scrape into jar, seal with lid and refrigerate.
- Sandwiches: Warm rolls or bread in low oven.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter, in heavy skillet or on griddle over
medium-high heat. When hot, add onions and cook, stirring, for several
minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add peppers and continue to cook, stirring often, until peppers are
softened and onions are beginning to brown. Scrape into bowl, cover to
keep warm and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet; when melted and hot,
add steak and cook, stirring and flipping for a minute or two until no
- Remove skillet or griddle from heat and separate steak into four
piles. Top each pile with heaping amount of Cheese Spread. With metal
spatula, transfer each pile to bottom half of roll or slice of bread.
Top with some of onions and peppers, then with roll top or bread slice.
- Serve immediately with plenty of napkins.
Yield: 4 large sandwiches for 8 servings
about 3 cups Cabot Cheese
Spread or 12 servings
Recipe courtesy of Jimmy Kennedy.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Cabot Creamery