- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushroom caps, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 8 slices deli-style rye bread with seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup prepared Russian dressing
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup prepared coleslaw
- 4 thin slices red onion
- Heat broiler to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet (preferably nonstick), over medium-high heat, heat oil until
hot. Add portobellos; cover and cook until they begin to release liquid, about 5
minutes; uncover and cook until tender and liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes longer;
drain on paper towels, pressing excess moisture from mushrooms.
- Arrange bread slices on a rimmed baking sheet; toast on both sides, about 2 minutes.
Lower oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Spread warm toast on one side, with dressing, dividing evenly. Arrange mushrooms
on half of the toast slices; top each with a slice of cheese folded in half; bake
just until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Top each sandwich with 1/4 cup coleslaw
and an onion slice; cover with remaining toast.
Makes 4 sandwiches | Prep 10 min | cook time 15 min
Posted by Don from NJ at Recipe Goldmine 9/25/2001 7:28 am.
Source: Asbury Park Press | sandwich recipes from the Mushroom Council.