This Reuben Loaf recipe was entered in the 2006 North Carolina State Fair and judged to be a winner.
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very warm water (120 to 130 degrees F)
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon caraway OR anise seeds (optional)
- Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in water; mix until a soft dough forms. Add remaining flour as needed.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 4 minutes or until smooth.
- Roll dough to a 14 x 10-inch rectangle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread salad dressing down the center of the dough lengthwise. Top with layers of corned beef, cheese and sauerkraut.
- Make cuts from filling to edges of dough 1-inch apart on both sides of filling, using a sharp knife or scissors. Alternating slices, fold the strips at an angle across filling.
- Cover dough with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush top with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds (if desired).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings, serving size 1/8th loaf
Prep Time: 30 min | Bake: 25 min
Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories: 320 Total Fat: 10 grams Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams Cholesterol: 35 milligrams Sodium: 890 milligrams Total Carbohydrates: 41 grams Sugar: 4 grams Dietary Fiber: 2 grams Protein: 14 grams
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Fleischmann's Yeast