Sloppy Joe Loaf
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (11 ounce) can Pillsbury Refrigerated Crusty French Loaf
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet and large skillet with nonstick
- In sprayed skillet, combine ground beef and onion; cook until beef is thoroughly
cooked, stirring frequently. Drain well. Add tomato sauce, flour, basil, oregano
and fennel seed; mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove
- Meanwhile, remove dough from can and place on lightly floured surface. Cut loaf
in half lengthwise. Roll each half to form a 16 x 4-inch rectangle. You may want
to stretch the dough with your hands to the correct size. Place 1 dough rectangle
on sprayed cookie sheet, stretch it to the correct size on cookie sheet. Stir 1/2
cup of the cheese into ground beef mixture. Spoon and spread mixture over dough
rectangle on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining
dough rectangle. Again, stretch the dough to cover and form the top of the sandwich.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into slices.
Makes 6 servings.
Source: $2,000 winner in the 2002 Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sandwich Recipes